Saturday, June 6, 2009

Finally "Getting Out There"

After years of promising myself to do so, I'm finally taking the initiative to create a blog intended to revolve entirely around my work in ceramics. Please forgive my first few posts as I'm still getting used to the whole concept of "blogging" and am currently living with a less-than-stellar internet connection (gotta love living in northern Wisconsin...I do, actually, but only when it's warm out); things should balance out as I familiarize myself with the site and a schedule of regular updates.

A good way to get started is probably a little background information on myself and my work.

I graduated in May of 2009 from Luther College in Decorah, IA, with a B.A. in Studio Art and a minor in International Studies. The following September I became the resident apprentice and beginning-level throwing/handbuilding instructor at Riverrun Center for the Arts in McNaughton, WI. My apprenticeship will continue through the end of August 2009, after which time I plan on moving to the Twin Cities to continue working in ceramics and preparing for graduate school.

My current body of work is an exploration of the contrast between smoke-fired and glazed surfaces; I've been experimenting with low-temperature glazes (usually no higher than cone 04) and white clay bodies for the last few months and am finally getting some results I feel I can really run with. I will be firing a load of bisqueware tomorrow, after which I will be able to post images of REALLY recent work.

No comments:

Post a Comment