Friday, October 2, 2009

In the Process of Re-situating

As some of you who have been in to Riverrun and/or know me personally may know I completed my apprenticeship with Joan at the end of August and immediately (quite literally, actually...as in the next morning) packed up and moved to the Minneapolis/St. Paul region of the Midwest. Why the Twin Cities? Well, my initial reasons included the fantastic art scene and resources, the great mix of people and cultures, and the close-ish proximity to home for occasional visits. However, at the end of July, one reason in particular jumped to the top of the list. After applying to the Edina Art Center in Edina, MN, as a teaching assistant, I was actually offered a regular teaching position for their fall Clay Sculpture class; the regular instructor had an unavoidable time conflict come up and my qualifications and previous teaching experience just happened to fit the position requirements (obviously there was a lot of excited hopping around after that phone call). The following week I drove to Edina, met with the head of the Ceramics Department at the Center, and finalized the details of the position. (There will also be opportunities for me to propose additional classes for the winter session, but that won't come until later this fall.)

Living and working in the Twin Cities area has been a very interesting transition - driving around the cities still makes me a bit nervous, though it's more so the speed and traffic congestion than unfamiliarity of the roads - but I'm very happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment